Tuesday, June 29, 2004

 

So long

In Engin's room (where I was staying), I spotted a picture of the French actress Virginie Ledoyen on the wall. I asked him about this beauty, and then soon our conversation steered, not unexpectedly, in the direction of the fairer sex. "Now that you have been in Europe for three weeks," Engin began, "do you like European girls more or American girls?" I answered, frankly, that on the one hand, European girls have a certain grace that most American women lack. But on the other hand, they are kind of intimidating, and Americans seem easier to talk to. "What do you think of Italian girls?" asked Engin. "Sexy" was my one-word answer. He agreed. Then he revealed that he used to date a girl from Florence. Surprised, and a little excited, I asked him what that was like. "It is not like being in a romance," Engin admitted. "Italian girls have a force. Being with with them is a struggle." From what I saw of Italian women, I could understand his point of view.


Tim and Engin

My flight was at noon, and so the time came for me to say goodbye. I thanked Engin for letting me bunk with him and for a small gift, a calendar of his homeland, Turkey. I thanked Abi for the tasty dinner she prepared on the night Tim and I returned. (There were many more little things that these exceptionally nice two did.) Tim walked me to the train station. The next month, we both knew, was going to be heavy with withdrawal symptoms; Tim had to write his thesis, and I had to go back to work. But I would not have had it any other way.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?